Being part of a society is so rewarding and really helps unleash your creativity, whether you love to act, dance, sing or be more hands on backstage or even directing!
Steve Woodward, who joined COS in 2016
We welcome members aged 16 and over
We have a junior members group, aged 11 – 23, known collectively as ‘CO2′ (Colchester Operatic Society Second Edition), which is incredibly popular. CO2 produces an annual show in the Autumn for a two week run at The Mercury Theatre . If you are between 11-23 and want to be part of our CO2 Youth Group, click here.
- Regular newsletters.
- The opportunity to audition and perform in prestigious venues with high production value.
- Theatre experience – a platform for learning & perfecting your performance and/or technical skills
- Regular social events.
- An incredibly nurturing environment that drives creativity.
- A fun and fulfilling experience – and amazing memories!
- Be part of and support the local theatre community
Membership Costs just £10 per year!
A Show Fee is approximately £60 and a Concert Fee is approximately £30
As a local, not-for-profit group we pride ourselves on putting on the best level show year on year.
Membership and Show Fees help to cover some of our expenses including:
- Theatre Hires (Either at the The Mercury Theatre seating 499 or The Headgate Theatre seating 87 for smaller concerts)
- Rehearsal Space Costs (we usually rehearse two or three times a week for big shows)
- Director & Musical Director Fees
- Set Hire
- Costume & Props Hire
- Show Licensing & Script/Score Hire
- Equipment Hire
- Orchestra/Band Hire
- Expenses (Moving show items from storage to theatre, van hire for various transport to and from theatre)
If you’ve heard of us or seen one of our shows and would like to join us then drop us an email at email@example.com or fill in our Contact form
Come and audition!
You can audition for more than one role, as well as audition for chorus, usually in groups of four. There will be a small audition panel of around 5 people, including the musical director and the director. We follow an open audition format so you’re welcome to stick around and see everyone else audition. Don’t worry, we provide all the audition pieces, and videos for choreography, before the day so you have plenty of time to practice.
Auditioning is quite simple, although as with any auditions, they can be a little scary or daunting but you are not alone in feeling like this; we all feel the same, even the seasoned COS members!
Becki Lee, who also joined COS in 2019
Get in touch to find out about our next auditions and then come and meet us at our friendly pre audition rehearsals. It’s a great way to familiarise yourself with the audition pieces and we will run through the process so that you know what to expect.
Kate Cavill, who joined COS in 2019
To view and/or download our Audition processes click here
To view our members Welcome book click here
View answers to Frequently Asked Questions about COS here